Fitbit Flex 2 Review
- Editor Rating
- Rated 4.5 stars
- Fitbit Flex 2
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Heart Rate Monitor functionsEditor: 0%
- Activity Tracking featuresEditor: 85%
- Running functionsEditor: 35%
- Cycling functionsEditor: 35%
- Fitness monitoring featuresEditor: 70%
- Ease of UseEditor: 90%
- Battery LifeEditor: 90%
I never actually got my hands on the World’s Best Selling Activity Tracker, the Fitbit Flex (2013-2014) The Flex was innovative, stylish, discrete and connected .. all those features made it a firm favourite. So how can the new Fitbit Flex 2 improve on such a great predecessor? Well, for starters they can make it SWIM PROOF. This is Fitbit’s FIRST 100% swim resistant fitness tracker. It’s officially rated to 50m so you can keep it on whatever the weather or wherever you are … The Fitbit Flex 2 activity tracker has been reviewed by Tristan Haskins aka CardioCritic
Release Date (UK) > August 2016
Product it replaced > Fitbit Flex
Suggested Retail Price (at time of released) > from £79 upwards depending on case etc.
NEWS > Fitbit’s have a new smartwatch with built-in GPS and wrist based heart rate. The new Fitbit Ionic has been reviewed here
Who’s it For
If you’re looking for a highly functional activity tracker that’s discrete, swim-proof and stylish then you might have found it here. The Flex 2 tracks everything from steps, calories burnt, distance walked, and even laps swam at the swimming pool. The Flex 2 will effortlessly track all-day activity, exercise and sleep in a style that’s all your own. All your activity data is simply and wirelessly uploaded to the Fitbit APP loaded to your iPhone or Android device. A key selling point of the Flex 2 is it’s unique modular design. Just pop the clever fitness tracking module out from the silicone case and secure it in any of the many stylish / designer influenced bracelets, wrist bands and even necklaces.
Quick Links – skip to
The Fitbit Flex does NOT provide time of day. It has a series of bright LEDs that flash to alert of incoming smartphone notifications and provide a discrete reminder when it’s time to move (accompanied by a vibration). The LED’s can also be activated to show you how close you are to your daily goal with a simple tap.
Next model UP
The next model up in the current Fitbit product line up is the Alta with more comprehensive smartwatch functionality and the ability to pair with the GPS on your smartphone. If you prefer to have built-in GPS, then you should consider the Fitbit Surge.
Fitbit Alta very similar functionality but comes with OLED display for time of day and activity recall
Fitbit Charge 2 built-in heart rate sensor & large vertical display
Next model DOWN
The model below the Flex 2 in the wrist worn fitness tracker range is the original Flex. The original Flex is still available and if you’re not too worried about the fashionable cases / bracelets and you don’t need your fitness tracker to be swim proof then the original still offers great value for money.
Fitbit Flex (direct to shopping partner)
Summary & Conclusions
If you are looking for an easy to use, discrete and water proof fitness tracker that does NOT need time of day then the Fitbit Flex 2 is ideal. Wear the Flex 2 on one wrist and your preferred time piece on the other. The wide range of designer cases and innovative bracelet and wristband jewellery casings make it as stylish as it is functional. I would strongly recommend the Flex 2 to anyone that just wants to discretely track their daily activity and receive feedback throughout the day when it’s time to move. I have given the Flex 2 a rating of 4.5/5 stars.
>> Back to Top of Review
Closest Alternative Fitness Trackers?
If you want to keep things simple and do NOT want your fitness band to double up as a time of day watch then this is about as basic as it gets. The Flex 2’s nearest competitors are products that I have NOT reviewed like the Jawbone UP2.
Jawbone UP2 (link opens on partner site)
Comparison Table – Alta – Flex 2 – Charge 2
Fitbit Flex 2 Video
As soon as I get my hands on a Fitbit Flex 2 I will record a quick “realworld” video .. In the meantime, Fitbit’s own promotional video actually does a very good job to give you a real feel for this clever little activity tracking module.
Flex 2 Features
Fitbit has enhanced its iconic and industry-defining tracker, Fitbit Flex®, into an ultra-slim, swim-proof fitness wristband that can transform to fit your personal style with a variety of stylish new accessories. With smarter exercise features, Flex 2 effortlessly tracks your fitness and provides friendly motivation to help you stay active throughout your day.
- All-Day Activity Tracking
Track steps, distance, calories burned, active minutes, hourly activity & stationary time.
- Auto Sleep Tracking & Silent Alarms
Automatically track your sleep quality & wake up peacefully with a silent alarm.
- Interchangeable Accessories
Style this ultra-slim, removable tracker with wristband, bangle and pendant accessories.
- LED Display
An LED display lights up when you get calls, texts and Reminders to Move, and shows you how close you are to your daily goal with a simple tap.
Automatically recognizes select activities and records them in the exercise section of the Fitbit app.
- Reminders to Move
Get friendly Reminders to Move that encourage you to reach an hourly goal of 250 steps.
- Smartphone Notifications
Get call & text notifications (when your phone is nearby) with unique vibration patterns and color-coded LED lights: blue for calls, purple for texts.
- Track Swimming
Wear it in the shower, ocean or pool. Track swimming automatically and see your workout summary in the Fitbit app.
- Long Battery Life
Battery life up to 5 days so you can track all day and night without needing a charge.*
- Wireless Syncing
Sync stats wirelessly & automatically to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices.
Designer Collections for your Fitbit
Fitbit continues to embrace strategic partnerships with fashion designers and brands to offer innovative and exciting designs that empower you to express your personal style while leading a healthy, active life. Designer collections will be available for Flex 2 from the following brands:
- PUBLIC SCHOOL > Blending aspirational runway fashion with edgy, urban street-style looks for approachable luxury accessories in styles that range from high-end bracelets to accessible sports bands that are both contemporary and sophisticated, available in 2017
- Simply Vera Wang for Kohl’s > Inspired by Vera Wang’s signature design philosophy and featuring materials such as metal and leather, this collection, available at Kohl’s stores nationwide and Kohls.com in winter 2016, includes classic, everyday accessories that balance modern design with sophisticated elegance for an effortless contemporary style.
- Tory Burch > With classic, bold, everyday pieces featuring Tory Burch’s signature open fretwork, stainless steel detailing and smooth leather straps, this collection will transform your tracker into a chic piece of jewelry, available in 2017.
- Ultra-slim, minimalist design > Now 30% smaller, Flex 2 features a removable tracker and interchangeable slim, classic fitness bands in seven colors that are perfect for every day, hitting the gym or going for a swim.
- Premium accessory options > Transform and customize Flex 2 in a variety of Fitbit-designed bracelets and pendants to best suit your style or activity. Choose from a range of luxe, premium mirror-finish bangles in silver stainless steel, and 22k-plated gold or rose gold stainless steel, or elegant lariat-style necklaces in silver stainless steel or 22k-plated gold stainless steel for an elevated look that fits seamlessly into your everyday life – from the office to a night out.
- Swim-proof and automatic swim tracking > As Fitbit’s first swim-proof wristband, Flex 2 is water resistant up to 50 meters, whether you’re in the shower, pool or ocean, and it automatically tracks your pool swims including laps, duration and calories burned in the Fitbit App.
- Effortless and automatic: Track your most important health and fitness stats, plus:
- SmartTrack automatic exercise tracking recognizes select workouts (walks, runs, rides, elliptical, sports, aerobic workouts, and now swims).
- Reminders to Move help you stay active with friendly reminders to reach mini hourly step goals and reduce stationary time.
- Personalized weekly exercise goals to help you embrace a consistent routine and stay motivated.
- Smarter: A simple LED display uses color-coded lights to show progress toward your daily goal, and keeps you connected with call and text notifications.