AT A GLANCE: QUICK RATINGS
Where To Get It
Where To Get It
A Deep Dive Into Mobvoi Ticwatch S
The Mobvoi TicWatch S is a great fitness smartwatch that can pair with smartphones with Android 4.3+ or iOS 9+. It can also be used with iPhone 5 or later. Wear OS lets you download many Apps.
Historically, in 2012, Mobvoi, a company created by ex-Google employees, had a mission. These bright young techies dreamed of creating the next generation of smartwatches including fitness tracking, heart rate monitoring and GPS.
Wear OS by Google formed a strategic partnership with Mobvoi to work together on the efforts to bring Wear OS by Google to China in 2015. Mobvoi watches have consistently been in the top ten fitness smart watches since.
Mobvoi released the TicWatch S smartwatch in November, 2017 and an improved version, the S2, in January 2019. Both watches have a large 1.4 inch watch face that can be altered to make it look the way you want.
To make tracking more accurate, the GPS antenna is incorporated into the Mobvoi TicWatch band in the S version, therefore, the band can not be changed in the S version because the GPS antenna is incorporated into it. This design was changed in the S2 version.
The Mobvoi TicWatch S recommended sales price is around $128 while the Mobvoi TicWatch S2 recommended sales price is around $179. So for about $50 more, you have a better battery, heart rate tracking capabilities and improved waterproofing, which gives you the ability to swim with this device. This is probably worth it for most people.
Who Is It For?
This fitness watch has a masculine look and is well-loved for its value. You need to identify if you fit into the smartwatch category of fitness tracking, or if you’re someone who loves all the bells and whistles of a smartwatch. This watch definitely fits into the fitness tracker side.
Both the Mobvoi TicWatch S and S2 versions have very similar specs but the S2 claims to be more durable, a better activity tracker and has a longer battery life.
Also, the GPS is in the watch body, and you have a greater variety of watch band replacement options.
Both watches claim to be for men and women, however, even though most smartwatches for fitness tend to be big, this watch does not come with a smaller band option for a smaller wrist.
The big 1.4 watch face circumference may make it look clunky on a smaller woman.
What's in the Box
Smartwatch, strap, magnetic charging dock, and quick guide
- Sharp, big display, so it is easily read when working out
- Accurate fitness tracking ability
- Durable and relatively lightweight and comfortable to wear
- No NFC, so you can’t pay off your watch
- No sleep tracking
- Need specific Mobvoi TicWatch S straps for replacement bands
Main Features and Functions
Everyone wants a longer battery life so there are ways to improve the battery life on this smartwatch if you know how.
The manufacturer claims the charging time of the smartwatch is 1-2 hours and we found this to be correct.
They claim 5+ days of battery life and our experience was less. Battery life on any watch is known to drastically shorten when using fitness or GPS tracking.
Five things to do to help preserve your battery life, according to Mobvoi customer service representatives are:
- Disable Wifi. Use your BlueTooth connection for your phone.
- Keep the watch face design simple, Animated, moving designs use battery juice.
- Turn off the “always listening” for OK Google.
- Adjust the brightness level
- Block unnecessary notifications
Heart Rate Tracker: some suggest moving the watch slightly up on the wrist for a better, more accurate reading. Mobvoi TicWatch S2 has TicMotion which provides more accurate tracking.
GPS tracker: The watch's built-in GPS tracker works really well, including on hikes (The S2 looks more like a hiker’s watch.). We compared a hike with other walking/hiking software and were pleased with Mobvio’s accuracy.
- The strap is 22mm, made from silicone and can be replaced. But as noted before, the Mobvoi Ticwatch S version can only be replaced by another Mobvoi TicWatch S band because of the antenna located in the actual band.
- The watch is made of polycarbonate, has an AMOLED display and is 1.4 inches in diameter.
- The watch acts as a fitness coach and will send you mobility notification if you are too sedentary.
- Unlike the Huawei Watch 2, Mobvoi TicWatch S and S2 do not have NFC capability. You will need your smartphone for that feature.
- Sleep tracking, heart rate monitoring, distance covered, steps, calories burned can all be monitored in both versions of the Mobvoi TicWatch S and S2 models.
- Both the Mobvoi TicWatch S and S2 have a microphone, Bluetooth, and MP3/4 ability, but does not have a camera, radio, or loudspeaker
- The Mobvoi TicWatch S has a waterproof rating of only IP67 so it is not recommended for swimming. The Mobvoi TicWatch S2 has a 5ATM rating and therefore is recommended for swimming.
So if you like a big smartwatch that is a great fitness tracker checkout the Mobvoi Ticwatch S.
It has a great price. For an additional $50 the Mobvoi TicWatch S2 with its longer battery life, more accurate fitness tracking ability, and swim capability, may be an even better value.
If the NFC, a feature that lets you pay bills using your smartwatch, is important to you, also consider the Huawei Watch 2 and the Mobvoi TicWatch Pro.
My personal favorite would be the Mobvoi TicWatch S2. It has a more sport/hiker look that appeals to me and I like the price.