AT A GLANCE: QUICK RATINGS
Heart Rate Functions
Fitness / Sport Features
Ease of Use
Where To Get It
A Deep Dive Into The Suunto Ambit 2 S
The Suunto Ambit2 S GPS sports watch has been reviewed by Tristan Haskins aka CardioCritic
Update > In October 2016 Suunto released their new Suunto Spartan Sport GPS multisport watch. If you want the latest and greatest offering from Suunto, then please check the review of the Spartan Sport here.
Please note. I still hold this Ambit2 S in high esteem and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good GPS running / triathlon watch with CABLED data connection to PC/Mac only.
That’s the main difference, the lack of connectivity between the watch and your smartphone. This model does NOT support Bluetooth upload and neither does it provide smartphone notifications etc.
Who Is It For?
The Suunto Ambit2 S is the perfect training partner for the all round exerciser. Suunto call it their “GPS for Athletes”. That’s not a bad summary. It’s is aimed primarily at Multisport exercisers, those who run, swim, bike and more.
The Ambit2 S features a digital compass and a GPS altimeter. Add to these outdoor watch features a 100 waypoint memory and the ability to build a route online (using Movescount.com), and we have a capable GPS watch.
For the Multisport athlete Suunto have added ONE BUTTON Multisport support. Changing sport, and thus displayed information is simle, just one press between transitions.
It’s the ideal sports training companion for anyone who runs, bikes, sailes, swims, horse rides etc. The Ambit2 S is designed to fuel your passion for sports.
It features the latest GPS in a light and sleek case with advanced features for running, biking, swimming and more. Thousands of Suunto Apps available to add new features to your watch. Perform at your absolute best – every time, everywhere.
Note > this product was replaced by the Suunto Spartan Sport (Oct 2016).
Suunto have conveniently added support for many ANT+ accessories (so yes, it will work with all your old Garmin components) and the Ambit2 S even supports Pedal Power monitoring (ANT+).
Just like the Garmin Forerunner 920XT the Ambit2 S has built in swim-metrics, telling you how far, number of strokes and how fast you’ve swam. When training, you need to see the data you want, when you need it.
With the Ambit2 S the exercise displays are 100% configurable so you get to see what you want to see, when you want to see it. In summary, this powerful GPS sports watch is for anyone who does more than 1 discipline, add to that it’s 50m water resistant – and you’ve got a true GPS multisport watch
Power Reading with ANT+
The Suunto Ambit2 S allows connection to an ANT+ Power Meter. While riding you are presented with power information.
The default of this includes instant power, 3 sec average, 10 sec average, and 30 sec average power.
Power monitoring is what all the pro’s do in the peloton. Once you know what power output you can sustain over a period of time, you will know if you should chase down the breakaway, or let it go and reel them in slowly.
What’s in the Ambit2 S RED Box?
- Suunto Ambit2 S
- Data Cable for charging and data transfer
- Ambit2 S manual
- Optional Heart Rate belt
- Full-featured GPS (SiRFIV v2.2)
- Adjustable GPS fix rate (1 s, 60 s)
- Location in multiple coordinate systems
- Waypoint and route navigation
- Find back
- Track back
- Track logging, viewing and sharing*
- Point of Interest (POI) creation
- Route planning*
- GPS altitude
- Total ascent/descent**
- Vertical speed**
- Altitude graph
- 3D compass with declination adjustment
* in Movescount.com
** Requires GPS Accuracy setting ‘best’
Training & Sports-Specific Functions
- GPS-based speed, pace and distance
- Real-time, average and max. heart rate
- Heart rate limits
- Heart rate graph in real time
- Peak Training Effect & Recovery Time
- Manual & autolaps
- Countdown timer
- Interval timer
- GPS track analysis*
- Heart rate zones*
- EPOC & V02 max values*
- Swapping of sport while logging and exercise
- Preconfigured multisport modes
- Sports comparison*
- Post-analysis of multisport exercise by sport*
- Interactive map and charts by sport/section of an exercise*
- ANT+™ and Suunto ANT support for PODs
- Responsive running pace/speed (FusedSpeed™)
- Running cadence with Foot POD
- Lap comparisons by each kilometer/mile*
- Ghost Runner (Suunto App)
- Marathon End-time Estimator (Suunto App)
- Multiple Bike POD support (Suunto ANT/ANT+™)
- Bike Power (W), average and maximum
- Bike Power 3 s, 10 s, 30 s
- Bike lap and lap maximum power
- Power distribution & graphs*
- Peak Power Curve for peak power outputs*
Bike Power requires use of optional ANT+™ bike power sensor.
- Swimming time by pool length, lap, total
- Swimming pace & distance
- Swimming stroke rate, count & type
- Automatic intervals
- Dynamic lap table with strokes, pace and durations*
- 1000+ free Suunto Apps for outdoors & training
- Up to 50 Apps pre-configurable in watch
- Logging of all App values for post-analysis
- Suunto Apps creation with:
- Chrono, GPS, HR, weather and altitude data
- Running, cycling, swimming data
- Rich math functions, if/then logic, sound, backlight, etc.
* in Movescount.com
♥ requires use of optional Suunto ANT/ANT+™ or Suunto Dual Heart Rate Belt
- Time, date, alarm, dual time
- Multiple UI languages (EN, DE, ES, FI, FR, IT, NL, PT, SV)
- GPS timekeeping
- Positive / negative display switch
- User-adjustable backlight
- Versatile button lock
- Low battery indicator
- Metric and imperial units
- Power save modes
- Adjustable recording of HR and baro/alti (1 s, 10 s)
- Data transfer and charging with USB cable
- Watch settings & customization*
- Advanced post-analysis of exercise*
- Training logbook with story and image support*
- New functionalities with software upgrades*
* in Movescount.com
Next Model UP
The model up from this one is the Suunto Ambit 2 with improved navigational functionality and a barometric pressure sensor, weather warning etc.
Next Model DOWN
The Suunto Ambit2 R would be the model down from this one. They are very similar in operation, style and general functionality.
The main difference is that the Ambit2 R does NOT allow for multisport training. The Ambit2 Sport adds multiple sports training pages and the ability to perform a triathlon (or other multi-sport event) in ONE session.
By that we man all the training data is stored in one file for post session review in Movescount.
Should you still buy one now?
The Ambit2 S was a great watch for triathletes and other multisport athletes. Alternative GPS sports watches with multisport support include the Polar V800, Garmin Forerunner 920XT and the Suunto Spartan Sport.
Garmin Forerunner 920XT Garmin’s multisport GPS sports watch for top level training
Polar V800 Polar’s brilliant multisport GPS watch as used by Javier Gomez
Suunto Spartan Sport the latest version of Suunto’s top of the range GPS multisport watches
Last Updated on March 28, 2019