Garmin Forerunner 10
- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Garmin Forerunner 10
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Heart Rate Monitor functionsEditor: 0%
- Activity Tracking featuresEditor: 0%
- Running functionsEditor: 70%
- Ease of UseEditor: 100%
- Battery LifeEditor: 100%
The Garmin Forerunner 10 is an easy to use, low cost GPS runners watch. There is no option to add heart rate monitoring. If you are in the market for a super easy to use, no fuss, accurate, running speed, distance and pace monitor, then maybe Garmin have the answer here for you. The Forerunner 10 has been reviewed by Tristan Haskins
Release Date (UK) > September 2012
Product it replaced > Garmin Forerunner 110
Suggested Retail Price (when new) > £99
Who’s it for
Who is the Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS for? In our opinion it is for anyone who runs or cycles to keep fit, but, importantly, has no real interest in heart rate monitoring. The Forerunner 10 is a simple to use GPS speed and distance watch. The key user of this GPS speed and distance watch is possibly a recreational or competitive runner ~ 5K’s, 10K’s half and full marathon – or possibly a club cyclist with primary interest speed and distance (no pedal cadence support or heart rate).
A short History of the Forerunner Range
If you are thinking of getting a Garmin GPS running you are certainly not alone. There have been over 15 models in this popular range, to help you choose we have published a summary review of all the Forerunners comparing the main differences between all models from the 101 in 2003 to the latest products.
Key training features
The Garmin Forerunner 10 has 3 key training features for the enthusiastic runner ~
- Virtual Pacer compares current pace to target. Set a target, for example, 10K in 50 minutes and it will pace you along, thus helping you achieve your goal
- Auto Lap – lets you see a breakdown of lap by lap, mile by mile performance. Having a clear view of your performance mile by mile can be very informative. Maybe you went off to fast – peaked at mile 4 and suffered for the last 2 miles of a 10K. Having a lap by lap analysis will highlight irregular pacing. The Garmin Forerunner 10 can upload all this information to garminconnect.com website for a detailed review and comparison against other similar sessions.
- Auto Pause – the Forerunner 10 will stop recording when you are stationary. This is handy when running in town. Your actual RUNNING time is recorded, so it ignores the time you are waiting for traffic or to cross a busy road.
- High sensitivity GPS receiver
- Records position, speed/pace, distance and calories
- Easy-to-use, button operated
- Identifies personal records
- Virtual Pacer compares current pace to target
- Run/walk feature
- Auto Lap®
- Auto Pause®
- Visit Garmin Connect to store and share workouts; GarminConnect.com
- Water resistant up to 50m
- Automatic time zone
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery: up to 5 hours battery life in training mode, up to 5 weeks in power save mode
- Weight: 1.3 oz (36 g) pink and white, green and white; 1.5 oz (43 g) black and red
- Display: black and white, 55 x 31 pixelsSize (cm): 4.01 cm x 5.22 cm x 1.57 cm (green and white); 4.55 cm x 5.72 cm x 1.57 cm (black and red)
- Temp range:- 4oF to 140oF (-20oC to 60oC)
- PC compatability and MAC compatability – The Forerunner 10 is 100% MAC compliant – both Intel based and Power PC based MACs. Customers may need to download latest versions FREE from garmin.com
Next model UP
The model up from this one would be the Garmin Forerunner 15. The 15 uses the same CASE as the 10, so it’s the same size. Like the 10 it also features GPS speed and distance monitoring. However, unlike the Forerunner 10, the 15 can support Heart Rate Monitor belts and also includes a 24/7 Activity Tracker to help keep you motivated throughout the day
Get the best PRICE
PLEASE use the links below to check lowest online prices with our International Shopping partners (UK, USA, Australia, Europe & Japan)
>> Back to Top of Review
Next model DOWN
This is Garmin’s entry level GPS sports watch. There is no direct model down from this one.
The team at Heart Rate Monitor UK highly recommend the Forerunner 10 GPS runners watch for anyone who wants to know how far and how fast but not how hard (as it does not have heart rate) We found it to be simple to use, accurate and reliable.
An Alternative GPS Running Watch from Polar ….
If you are considering this Garmin Forerunner watch then we would invite you to read the review of the Polar M400 and also consider purchasing it from our UK online store. The Polar M400 is, in our opinion, the BEST GPS RUNNER’S watch on the market. It has all the PERFORMANCE tracking features you would expect from a competent runner’s watch, plus, a wealth of Training Load and Training Benefit feedback to help you better understand the training effect of each session and the predicted time required before you are fully recovered. It also features a reliable and well researched/accurate Fitness Test that can be conducted once or twice a month to keep track of your general fitness improvement (based on RR intervals and HRV) … it’s also an activity tracker, sleep monitor and it supports DOZENS of sports profiles, not JUST running.
Please visit our Forerunner 10 Technical Specification page for full manufacturer’s detail