Garmin Forerunner 25 Review
- Editor Rating
- Rated 4.5 stars
- Garmin Forerunner 25
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Heart Rate Monitor functionsEditor: 90%
- Heart Rate AccuracyEditor: 99%
- Activity Tracking featuresEditor: 80%
- Running functionsEditor: 90%
- Fitness monitoring featuresEditor: 75%
- Ease of UseEditor: 90%
- Battery LifeEditor: 95%
The Garmin Forerunner 25 is a simple to use GPS watch for runners with smartphone connectivity (call alerts, email alerts and data upload to Garmin Connect APP). This competent running watch also features 24/7 activity tracking keep tabs on daily steps, calories and distance walked etc. The Garmin Forerunner 25 GPS runners watch has been reviewed by Tristan Haskins aka CardioCritic (formerly HeartRateMonitor UK)
Release Date (UK) > August 2015
Product it replaced > Garmin Forerunner 210
Suggested Retail Price (when new) > £149
Replaced by > Still a valid product but a better option could be the Forerunner 35 (Oct 2016) with wrist based HR
The Forerunner 25 takes the popular Forerunner 15 and adds Smart Notifications and Bluetooth data download to compatible smartphones (Android and iPhone). It comes in TWO sizes, small and large and with OPTIONAL chest strap heart rate sensor. Just like the F15 before it, the Forerunner 25 includes an built in accelerometer that provides running metrics (pace, distance etc) when running indoors. This same technology is also used 24/7 to give activity tracking feedback.
Confused by How Many Forerunners there are?
You are not alone. If you are thinking of getting a Garmin GPS running then you will be joining a club of thousands. There have been over 15 models in the Forerunner range so we published this guide to the Garmin Forerunner which compares the main differences between all the models from the original Forerunner 101 in 2003 to the latest products.
Highly Effective GPS Running Watch
This compact yet competent running watch has 95% of the features that 95% of runners will probably ever need. The latest technology makes uploading your training history a doddle. At the end of the of the day everything can be manually downloaded to PC / Mac via supplied USB cable or auto-synced to your smartphone via Bluetooth and the Garmin Connect APP.
>> jump to
Who’s It For
- Do you run?
- Would you like to maintain a steady pace when running?
- Do you own a smartphone and want your GPS running watch to receive incoming smart notifications from your phone? . (let’s you know when someone is calling you when running)
- Would you like to track your daily activity rate and be reminded when it’s time to move?
If you have answered YES to any 3 of the 5 questions above then the Forerunner 25 is PROBABLY for you. If you answered YES to all 5 questions then what are you waiting for, scroll down for the best prices.
- Tracks distance, pace, heart rate (optional) and calories
- Instantly share runs and activity tracking progress² with friends, family and the world via social media by pairing a compatible device with Garmin Connect™ Mobile
- Activity tracking³ counts steps and calories and reminds you when it’s time to move
- Up to 8 hours of battery life with GPS on or 5 weeks in watch/activity tracking mode(small watch)
- Up to 10 hours of battery life with GPS on or 10 weeks in watch/activity tracking mode(large watch)
- Save, plan and share your activities at Garmin Connect™
Note > still a solid performer but a better option could be the Forerunner 35 (Oct 2016) with wrist based HR
>> back to top of review
Next Model Up
If you are looking at the next model up then you are probably looking at shifting up from “fun runner” to “competitive runner”. If that’s the case we’d recommend either the Forerunner 230 or Forerunner 235 with off the wrist hear rate technology. However, if you are content with the functionality of this model then you may be pleased to know there is now a Forerunner 35. This newer model has the same functionality as the FR25 with the convenience of wrist based heart rate and a more stylish design.
- Forerunner 35 reviewed here – with wrist based heart rate – same functions as this model
- Forerunner 230 reviewed here – a technical running watch with full colour display (chest strap HR)
- Forerunner 235 reviewed here – one of the best GPS running watches – for the competitive runner
Next Model Down
The next model down would be the Forerunner 15. The 15 does NOT have any Bluetooth connectivity so no smart notifications and no data download to the Garmin Connect APP.
- Garmin Forerunner 15 review – USB cable for data upload and no smartphone notification alerts
Closest alternative Running watches?
If you are predominantly a runner looking for a sports watch with Heart Rate & GPS there are some competent alternatives from Polar.
- Polar M200 reviewed here – a user friendly GPS running watch with wrist based HR & activity tracker
- Polar M400 reviewed here – a more technical GPS running watch with chest strap HR, activity tracker & 5 x HR zones
If you want to improve your running times then you need help getting there. A GPS running watch with proper features designed to make you run at a steadier pace is a way of taking the next step to becoming a better runner. The Garmin Forerunner 25 is an easy-to-use GPS watch that tracks how far, how fast and how long you’ve been running. It has an optional heart rate sensor to monitor your training effort. This short video from Garmin gives a nice “hands-on” view of this great sports watch. We hope to add our own video review shortly.
>> back to top of review
An Alternative GPS Running Watch from Polar ….
If you are considering this Garmin Forerunner watch then we would invite you to read the review of the Polar M400. The Polar M400 is, in our opinion, the BEST GPS RUNNER’S watch on the market. It has all the PERFORMANCE tracking features you would expect from a competent runner’s watch, plus, a wealth of Training Load and Training Benefit feedback to help you better understand the training effect of each session and the predicted time required before you are fully recovered. It also features a reliable and well researched/accurate Fitness Test that can be conducted once or twice a month to keep track of your general fitness improvement (based on RR intervals and HRV) … Just like the Forerunner 25 it’s also an activity tracker, sleep monitor and it’s smartphone connected for incoming alerts … plus it supports DOZENS of sports profiles, not JUST running.
We’ve put together some of the best images of the Forerunner 25. The aim of these pictures is to give a clearer understanding of the interface of the watch and showcase it’s main features.
>> back to review start
>> back to top
>> back to top
>> back to top of review
*Tech spec courtesy of Garmin
>> back to top
Physical & Performance
|Physical dimensions||Purple/Black & White/Pink: 35.9 x 43.9 x 13.9 mm
Blue/Black & Black/Red: 40.2 x 47.0 x 13.9 mm
|Display size, WxH||Purple/Black & White/Pink: 18.5 x 18.5 mm
Blue/Black & Black/Red: 23 x 23 mm
|Display resolution, WxH||128 x 128 pixels|
|Weight||Small: 31 g
Large: 39 g
|Battery life||Small: 8 weeks, watch mode; 8 hours in training mode; Large: 10 weeks, watch mode; 10 hours in training mode|
|Water rating||5 ATM|
Maps & Memory
|Virtual Pacer™ (compares current pace to target)||Yes|
|Accelerometer (calculates distance for indoor workouts, without need for a foot pod)||Yes|
|Heart rate monitor||Yes (Some versions)|
|Foot pod||Yes (optional)|
|Auto Pause® (pauses and resumes timer based on speed)||Yes|
|Auto Lap® (automatically starts a new lap)||Yes|
|Time/distance alert (triggers alarm when you reach goal)||Yes|
|Heart rate-based calorie computation||Yes|
|Calculates calories burned||Yes|
Activity Tracking Features
|Auto goal (learns your activity level and assigns a daily step goal)||Yes|
|Move bar (displays on device after a period of inactivity; walk for a couple of minutes to reset it)||Yes|
|Sleep monitoring (monitors total sleep and periods of movement or restful sleep)||Yes|
|Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data)||Yes|
|Automatic sync (automatically transfers data to your computer)||Yes|
>> back to TOP