Garmin Forerunner 630 Review
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Garmin Forerunner 630
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Heart Rate Monitor functionsEditor: 100%
- Heart Rate AccuracyEditor: 100%
- Activity Tracking featuresEditor: 95%
- Running functionsEditor: 100%
- Cycling functionsEditor: 75%
- Fitness monitoring featuresEditor: 90%
- Ease of UseEditor: 90%
- Battery LifeEditor: 90%
The Garmin Forerunner 630 is Garmin’s top of the range GPS running watch. It features advanced running related metrics that, with the correct understanding, could make you a better, faster, stronger runner. Garmin have 4 x dedicated running watches in order of technical functionality : Forerunner 25, Forerunner 35 (wrist based HR), Forerunner 230, Forerunner 235 (wrist based) and this one. The Garmin Forerunner 630 has been reviewed by Tristan Haskins aka CardioCritic (formerly HeartRateMonitor.co.uk)
Release Date (UK) > Oct 2015
Product it replaced > Garmin Forerunner 620
Price when released > £310
Who’s it For?
The Forerunner 630 is for VERY serious / elite level runners. For a vast majority of recreational and even competition level runners the Foreruner 235 is more than adequate. The Forerunner 630 is for the runner who possibly has a coach that wants to see, at a minute level, metrics that can be improved. I still run with a PB in mind and want to be the best I possibly can in my age group, but I wouldn’t benefit from the advanced features of the 630 … I’d not know what to do with them !
Confused by the Forerunner watch range? You’re not the only one with over a dozen models released in the last 10 years. To help you make the correct choice I’ve produced this short summary of all the Garmin Forerunner watches to help you get the latest and most appropriate model for your needs and budget.
Next Model Up
If you are looking at the next model up then you are either looking for something with MULTISPORT support like the 920XT or 735XT or maybe you have a requirement for more advanced navigation, digital compass and waypoint navigation, like the Fenix3
- Forerunner 735XT review – with off the wrist heart rate – no chest strap required
- Forerunner 920XT review – with multisport support. Run + Bike + Swim metrics all in one watch
- Forerunner Fenix 5 review – with advanced NAVIGATIONAL functionality (3 x sizes of case to suit your wrist size)
Next Model Down
- Forerunner 230 review – loses Garmin Virtual Partner and the Advanced Run Dynamics
- Forerunner 235 review – as above, but gain STRAPLESS heart rate monitoring
- Touchscreen GPS running watch with a high resolution colour display
- Advanced running dynamics include ground contact time balance, stride length and vertical ratio
- Features stress score, performance condition and lactate threshold
- Connected features: automatic uploads to Garmin Connect™, live tracking, audio prompts, smart notifications and social media sharing
- Download data fields, watch faces, widgets and applications from Connect IQ™
A little bit of Garmin Marketing to tempt you ….
Go further with your running data and tap into extended physiological and advanced running dynamics. Ground contact time balance and stride length metrics let you check in on your running symmetry and stride to monitor overall running form. Based on your VO2 max estimate (reqs HR monitor belt), the 630 can predict your race times for several distances, providing you with a time target for your next race.
Forerunner 630 running watch has all the numbers to measure a runner. The touchscreen GPS watch features advanced running dynamics, extended physiological measurements and smart features like notifications and the Connect IQ™ store
Watch the Video
This touchscreen GPS running watch features advanced running dynamics, extended physiological measurements and extensive smart features. The Forerunner 630 measures your heart rate to provide a stress score, performance condition and lactate threshold. Pair it with an HRM-Run monitor for advanced running dynamics, including ground contact time balance, vertical ratio and real-time stride length. Use smart features – on-screen email, text, call and calendar notifications – as well as Connect IQ store applications, watch faces, widgets and data fields, and more
In this video the team at Garmin discuss the Advanced Running Dynamics feautures.
The Garmin Forerunner 630 is without doubt the best GPS running watch for top flight runners. It’s OTT for the casual jogger, get a Forerunner 35, and even most club runners, get a Forerunner 235. However, for the coached athlete looking for the very best in technical feedback the Forerunner 630 has no equals. It doesn’t have wrist based heart rate, but for athletes at this level I’d suggest the use of a chest strap is essential to provide 100% heart rate accuracy. I have absolutely no hesitation in awarding the Forerunner 630 a rating of 5/5 stars – it’s simply exceptional.