Polar H10 HR sensor
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Polar H10 Heart Rate Sensor (Bluetooth & 5kHz)
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Heart Rate AccuracyEditor: 99%
- Fitness monitoring featuresEditor: 100%
- iPhone compatibilityEditor: 100%
- Android compatibilityEditor: 100%
- GoPro Hero 4 & 5 compatibilityEditor: 100%
- Ease of UseEditor: 100%
- Battery LifeEditor: 100%
The Polar H10 is everything the Polar H7 was … but better. The main improvement is an internal memory that stores a single session up to 65 hours long. This means you can leave your phone or watch at home. The H10 can also transmit heart rate data to the GoPro Hero 4 & 5 action cameras adding HR data to your videos. It also features improved heart rate accuracy and silicone nodules to prevent the belt slipping. The Polar H10 heart rate sensor has been reviewed by Tristan Haskins aka CardioCritic (formerly HeartRateMonitor UK)
Release Date (UK) > Feb 2017
Product it replaced > Polar H7 (still available)
Suggested Retail Price (at time of release) > from £79?
Who’s it For
The list of suitable customers for the H10 is quite extensive including : smartphone users, Polar watch owners, users of Polar compatible gym equipment and GoPro Hero 4 & 5 owners ….
The H10’s primary customers are those looking to add heart rate to their favourite training app. The H10 can be paired with a majority of modern smartphones (iOs, iPhone & Android). Choose from dozens of popular fitness training apps like Strava, Endomondo, MapMyRide etc. The Polar Bluetooth H10 sensor provides live heart rate data on your mobile training application.
Existing Polar watch users
The Polar H10 is compatible with virtually all current and legacy Polar fitness watches. The Bluetooth transmission makes it compatible with the newest watches such as the V800, M400, M200, M600 and M450 and V650 bike computers. In addition to the Bluetooth (BTLE 4.0) transmission, the H10 also utilises T31 Coded 5.4 kHz transmission. This enables it to connect with the majority of older Polar training computer.
NOTE > If you need a replacement T31 coded sensor (or Wearlink sensor) and do NOT need the Bluetooth compatibility, consider the Polar H1 (shopping partner).
Many gyms and manufacturers of gym equipment support the 5kHz Polar telemetry system. Popular brands such as Horizon, NordicTrack, Life Fitness and Kettler incorporate a heart rater sensor in their treadmills, elliptical trainers and spinning bikes.
GoPro Hero 4 & 5 users
This is a new area for Polar and one that will be well received by owners of GoPro action cameras. Adding live / streaming heart rate data to your action videos is a great way of immersing your audience in to the thrill of your film.
The Polar H10 is available to order now. Please show your support by checking the price below. Thank you.
>> Back to Top of Review
Internal Memory for 1 session
This is a key feature of the Polar H10. You can train without watch or smartphone. The H10 has an internal memory for 1 training session. This session can be as long as 65 hours. I have quickly tested this and it works very well. The procedure is as follows (also shown in the image below)
- Start Polar Beat app
- Press top RIGHT and select “Save HR with Sensor”
- Once the two icons have solid BLUE lines, indicating H10 is paired and acquiring heart rate, you are ready to TRAIN
- At end of the session, press the RED cirlce to STOP the session
- Your heart rate training data is then downloaded to the Polar Beat app. It is then displayed as shown in the final two images in the sequence below.
- Bluetooth 4.0 (BTLE Smart)
- Built-in memory can store ONE complete training session. HR data sampled once per second and the training session can be up to 65 hours. This data can be downloaded to Polar Beat App after training.
- GoPro Hero 4 & 5 compatibility for streaming HR data to action video !
- Improved electrode design with better contact to skin
- Addition of non-slip silicone nodules to prevent belt slippage
- Supports older Polar watches using 5kHz signal (T31 & Wearlink)
- Easy change battery – the H10 uses a CR2025 which provides up to 400 hour heart rate recording
- Supports popular training equipment using 5kHz signal (treadmills, steppers etc with Polar logo)
- New algorithm makes the BEST HR sensor even BETTER
- Transmits HR data when SWIMMING to the Polar V800 and any other Polar device supporting 5kHz (not BTLE or Polar WIND)
- Compatible with the Polar Beat app and many other smartphone apps, eg. Strave, MapMyRide, Endomondo etc
- Compatible with Polar Club and Polar Team solutions
- Review summary and conclusions
- Check for Best Prices
Alternative Bluetooth HR sensors
Polar aren’t the only company who sell a BTLE (Bluetooth 4.0) heart rate sensor. However, this is the one to buy if you want to add heart rate telemetry data to your GoPro video. It’s also the only one that will also pair with older Polar CODED heart rate monitors like the Polar RC3 or RCX5 etc. Plus, it’s compatible with popular gym training equipment (treadmills, spinning bikes etc)
Wahoo Tickr there are 3 models of this popular heart rate sensor
BlueLeza ANT+ & Bluetooth heart rate sensor (highly recommended for ANT+ / Garmin users)
Bluetooth Heart Rate for your Smartphone
With the Polar Beat App you can plan, train, analyse and share your workouts. Many people train without a goal before they begin and with no assessment of the quality of a session at the end. With the Polar Beat App each step of your journey to a fitter you is planned and monitored. The H10 Bluetooth heart rate sensor is compatible with any iPhone from 4s and most Android phone using V4.3 and beyond. Once you have the H10 HRM sensor the choice of fitness App is yours. Polar Beat is great but so to is Strava, Runkeeper, Endomondo, MapMyFitness and many more. (most offer a very comprehensive FREE version)
Polar Flow and Polar Beat
The level of detail that can be extracted from your smartphone running the Polar Beat APP is astonishing. This screen grab is from my own Polar Flow account following upload of data from the phone. This level of detail is achievable with JUST your smartphone, this Polar H10 sensor and the FREE Polar Beat (Polar website) app ….
Polar H10 and Strava
Strava is one of the most popular fitness apps out there. It’s very popular among cyclists and runners in particular. The FREE version is very good, however, I have subscribed to the PREMIUM version to give more detailed post session analysis including Strava’s SUFFER SCORE. Again, all you need is your smartphone, the Strava app (Strava website) and this Polar H10 heart rate sensor.
GoPro Hero 4 & 5 Compatible
This is a key feature of the new H10 and something not available with the H7. The Polar H10 can add heart rate data to your GoPro Hero 4 or 5 action videos.
- Capture memories with the Polar H10 and compatible GoPro action cameras.
- The Polar H10 can pair with your watch AND the GoPro camera giving HR overlay data in your action videos.
- More information on the H10 and GoPr0 on the Polar site and also on the GoPro site
Conclusions and Summaries
Polar have lead the world in heart rate monitoring since 1976 for a good reason. Their products are exceptional quality and can be considered as the GOLD STANDARD of heart rate monitoring. I have always used the previous Polar H7 as my CONTROL heart rate monitor when doing comparisons with other models. This new Polar H10 is EVEN BETTER. It will be the unit I now use when testing and comparing the heart rate accuracy of other devices. Standout new features are the internal memory for training without your phone or watch and it’s GoPro Hero compatibility. It’s impossible to criticise the Polar H10 (other than price…) I have awarded the H10 an exemplary 5/5 star rating
>> Back to Top of Review