Spartan Sport Wrist HR
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Heart Rate functionality
- Heart Rate Accuracy
- Activity Tracking features
- Running functions
- Cycling functions
- Fitness monitoring features
- Ease of Use
- Battery Life
The Suunto Spartan range was released (UK) in October 2016 and had the enviable task of replacing the highly popular, reliable and successful Suunto Ambit 3 series. This new model released in March 2017 takes the Spartan Sport and adds wrist based heart rate sensors. The Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR uses the world’s best HR sensors from Valencell for accurate off the wrist recording.
For those who want any of the following main features > barometric pressure sensor, more than 8 hours battery life (in GPS recording mode), thermometer and sapphire crystal glass then please consider the next model up, the Suunto Spartan Ultra. The Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR has been reviewed by Tristan Haskins aka CardioCritic
Release Date (UK) > March 2017
Product it replaced > None – Suunto’s first GPS watch with off the wrist heart rate sensors
Recommeneded Retail Price (when new) > £399
Replaced by > none – current model
Review coming very soon …
I hope to have one of these new watches sometime this month. In the meantime please refer to my original in-depth review of the Spartan Sport (with optional chest strap). Feature wise these watches are identical. It is only the addition of the Valencell wrist based heart rate sensors that differentiate the two products. If you don’t know already Valencell are the world’s leading manufacturer of optical heart rate sensors trusted by several other top brands. I have NO DOUBT the accuracy of the Spartan Sport Wrist HR’s heart rate sensor will be as good as an other on offer from competitors. FULL REVIEW to follow shortly.
What is it?
The Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR is a GPS watch with built-in, wrist based, heart rate measurement. It features a color touch screen, 100m water resistance and has a battery life expectancy of up to 12h in training mode. Like all other Spartan watches, the Spartan Sport comes with 80 pre-set sport modes with the ability to customise training metrics to suit your own personal needs. All Spartan Sport watches are hand-made in Finland.
Quick Links – lowest prices
PLEASE use the links below to check for the lowest online prices of this Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR from our Global shopping partners.
>> Back to Top of Review
Spartan Sport Wrist HR Feautures
- Suunto’s first watch with WRIST BASED heart rate using Valencell technology
- 24/7 Heart Rate and activity tracker with live steps, HR and calorie burn feedback
- Triathlon mode for one buttons transition from SWIM > BIKE to RUN
- Supports third party Bluetooth (BTLE) power, speed, cadence & HR sensors
- Compatible with Suunto Smart sensor belt to store HR when swimming
- Easy to read high colour touchscreen display (visible in ALL light conditions including DIRECT sunlight)
- GPS/GLONASS route navigation (follow breadcrumb trails from GPX files)
- Supports real-time addition of POI (Point of Interests) eg Camp, Home, Danger etc
- Navigate to POI’s during training mode – eg while Hiking navigate to POI “Camp2”
- Customisable Training pages
- Battery life expectancy up to 12 hours in power save training mode (8 hours in 1 second GPS & HR sampling mode)
- Heart Rate, Altitude & Speed graphs during and post training
- Durable steel bezel, mineral crystal glass and 100m water resistant making it a true outdoor sports watch
- Sport expertise and support for over 80 sports with racing and interval use
- Supports indoor swimming (self set pool length) with SWOLF efficiency score
- Packed with Training Insights giving feedback on – Recovery – Training Load – Progression and Planning
- 320 x 300 pixel display resolution (better than Garmin Fenix range)
The main attractions of this watch are it’s wrist based heart rate, robust case, hand assembled quality and multisport sports mode. The closest products from Garmin that can be viewed as direct alternatives are the Fenix 3HR, the Fenix 5 and the Forerunner 735XT. All these models also feature wrist based heart rate acquisition. For overall build quality, comparing like for like, it has to be the Fenix 3 HR and Fenix 5 that are true alternatives.
Next Model Down
Naturally, the model directly below this is the Spartan Sport. Exactly the same functionality and features without the wrist HR sensor found in this model. The new Spartan range replaced the Ambit range in Oct 2016. The Suunto Ambit reached version 3 with smartphone notifications and Bluetooth heart rate monitoring. If you want to grab a genuine bargain and you’re not too bothered about the colour touchscreen display and wrist based HR consider the Ambit 3 Run or Ambit 3 Sport (for Triathlon / multisport users)
Suunto Spartan Sport exactly the same as this model but missing the wrist based heart rate sensor
Suunto Ambit 3 Sport still a great outdoor GPS sports watch for triathletes and similar. Chest Strap HR
Full review to come very soon, in the meantime, please refer to my original review of the Spartan Sport.